The Impact of Your Volunteer Experience
- Volunteers are the heart and soul of Second Harvest. You bring our mission to life and make up the equivalent of ~40% of our workforce – we literally cannot accomplish our mission without you!
- Help us in our mission to end hunger in Orange County by sorting and packaging donated food items in our food distribution center
- All food is ultimately distributed to individuals and families in need in Orange County
- Together we are creating a future in which no one goes hungry. Ever.
Directions and Parking
- Directions found at this link – just click “Map and directions to Second Harvest Food Bank”
- Parking directions at this link – just click “Volunteer Parking Map”
- Please plan to arrive 10 – 15 minutes prior to the start of the shift to allow time for all volunteers to check in and begin on time.
Adult Sign Up
- Online signup through this link is required and is for adults only
- Each participating adult must complete their own registration and sign up
- See below for information about minors
- Must be at least 14 years old to volunteer in the Food Distribution Center
- Must be accompanied by an adult 21 years old or older – ratio of 1 adult to 10 minors
- Must bring a completed minor liability form signed by their parent/guardian or will not be allowed to volunteer. The form can be found at this link – just click “Adult and Minor Warehouse Liability Form”
- Accompanying adults must supervise minors at all times and volunteer alongside them
What to Wear and Expect
- Closed-toed shoes are required
- The temperature in the distribution center is similar to the temperature outside. We recommend wearing comfortable clothing accordingly.
- We recommend not bringing any valuable items with you as we are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- If you would like to bring your own food donations to your volunteer event, our current, most-needed shelf-stable items are:
- peanut butter
- canned meat
- canned fruit
- cereal (hot or cold)